Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Squash Casserole

Another tasty recipe given to me by my mother-n-law who was born and raised in North Carolina. I love yellow squash but I love it even more in this casserole. Summer is all about squash and this is a delish dish to make. When I went to the grocery store this week I was happy to see that the squash was on sale for .99 cents a pound so I had to make this for my family.

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds of yellow squash, cut up
2 carrots, grated
1 onion, diced
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
tub of sour cream
1 box of chicken flavored stuffing
1 stick of butter

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling water, add your squash, carrots and onions and cook at a boil for 8 minutes. Drain water well from veggies and put into a large mixing bowl. With a hand blender, blend all veggies together, I like it well blended but a little chunky. Add the sour cream and cream of chicken soup. With a spoon, mix well. Add a pinch or two of salt and a few dashes of pepper. In a separate microwavable bowl, melt a stick of butter and then add your package of stuffing to it and mix well. Take half of the stuffing mix and mix into the veggie mix. Put veggies into a large baking dish or two small baking dishes and top the remaining stuffing on top, cover with foil and bake at 350 degree for 35-40 minutes.

5 comments:

My crazy crazy life said...

Mmmmmm, this looks so good Jen, I'm totally going to try it. thx.

Hornsfan said...

This looks delish, I'm totally in love with summer squash too and have taken to making a salad of them (will post soon) - this looks amazing though!

ladydazy said...

I need to try this a.s.a.p!!!

Life, Food and Everything Else said...

oh my looks like my kind of dish. i shut down my old blog here's my new one
http://mylifefoodandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com/

Dana said...

Ha! i just stumbled across your blog today and what should i see - a recipe that I grew up eating! Love the squash casserole. Pretty easy to make it vegetarian, too, if needed. I grew up in Winston-Salem, NC - perhaps that's why I know this recipe so well.